Vending in Palmdale
Yes, you can sell food or merchandise within Palmdale as a sidewalk vendor or as a mobile vendor (which is a street vendor with or without vending from a vehicle) as long as all requirements of the Palmdale Municipal Code on the kind of vending you wish to do are followed. Some requirements include obtaining a business license and special vending permit issued by the City and following all location, time, and health and safety regulations of the City and applicable agencies.
If you plan to sell food or merchandise within Palmdale, you will need a business license issued by the City of Palmdale, a special vending permit issued by the City of Palmdale, and a seller’s permit issued by the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. Vendors selling food must obtain a permit from the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health before the City of Palmdale can allow you to operate. Mobile vendors using a vehicle must have a valid vehicle registration issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. All vendors must also comply with current LA County and California State permitting and licensing requirements.
A City-issued business license and special business permit are each valid for one year and must be applied for or renewed concurrently.
Steps to Obtain a Vending Permit
- Review Applicable Laws and Regulations
- Determine Your Business Name
- If you plan to use a name other than your given name, you must file a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk. Click here for more information.
- To complete filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement, a copy of the statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in the county where the principal place of business is located. (See business checklist.)
- Obtain a California Seller’s Permit
- For information on how to obtain a California Seller’s Permit from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, click here or call 800/400-7115 or 661/222-6000.
- Obtain a Los Angeles County Public Health Permit (Food Vendors Only)
- For information on obtaining a Los Angeles County Public Health Permit, click here, or call 888/700-9995.
- For information on obtaining a Mobile Food Vendor permit in Los Angeles County, click here.
- Click here for information on obtaining a Sidewalk Food Vendor permit in Los Angeles County, click here.
- Apply Online for a Business License and Special Vending Permit
- Notification of Determination and Next Steps
Once the vending permit is approved, you will be notified to go to the City of Palmdale’s Human Resources Department for a photo id badge that must be worn while vending.
Your business license will be emailed to you.
The vehicle sticker will be mailed to you.
If the vending permit is not approved, you will be notified [insert[VE1] ]
Renew business license and permit each year.
More information regarding sidewalk vending in Palmdale may be viewed here.
More information regarding mobile vending in Palmdale may be viewed here.
Education and enforcement efforts related to vending are key in maintaining clean, safe public rights-of-way and other areas. All vending regulations, requirements, and ordinances are in place to promote public health, safety, and welfare within the City of Palmdale. All permitted vendors must have a valid business license and special business permit issued by the City of Palmdale and adhere to the applicable regulations set forth by the Palmdale Municipal Code (PMC) Sections 5.04.590 (sidewalk vending) and 5.04.600 (mobile vending).
State Bill (SB) 946
Existing law authorizes a local authority, by ordinance or resolution, to adopt requirements for public safety regulating sidewalk vending and the time, place, and manner of such vending.
View SB 946 Here
All ordinances are subject to being enforced through the Palmdale Municipal Code, including through the issuance of administrative citations. The City of Palmdale’s Code Enforcement Division will distribute educational materials regarding the new vending ordinance to sidewalk vendors, mobile vendors, and others engaging in commercial activity within Palmdale. Enforcement is conducted collaboratively between the Code Enforcement Division, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and the LA County Health Department.
Contact Code Enforcement
To report unpermitted vending activity to the City of Palmdale Code Enforcement Division, visit online or call 661/267-5234.
Contact the Los Angeles County Department of Public
To report foodborne illness to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Morbidity Unit, visit online or call 213/240-7821 or 888/397-3993.