Become a Contract Class Instructor

People Playing the Saxaphone
Kids Practicing Karate
Kids Playing Soccer
Kids in the Pool with Instructor
Girls Holding Flowers up for Teacher
Girl and Leaders Playing Checkers

Our contract instructors contribute to our community by providing enriching classes, workshops and seminars. We’re always open to new, creative ideas. The Parks and Recreation department is seeking proposals for the following programs:

  • Aquatics
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Education & Technology
  • Hobbies & Interests
  • Mind & Body
  • Therapeutic & Special Needs

Programs may be designed for a variety of individuals:

  • Adults
  • Families
  • Individuals 55 and older
  • Individuals with disabilities
  • Preschoolers
  • School age children
  • Teens

Class Locations

A facility will be offered to you based on availability. 

If you are interested in teaching a class, submit a Contract Class Interest Form.

Contract Service Instructor Information

Traditional class formats are eight-week classes, four-week classes or one-day workshops. Sessions run January through May, June through August, and September through December. Classes need to be scheduled accordingly.

The Department of Parks and Recreation will handle class registration, provide a facility, and list the class information in the Palmdale News.

A facility will be offered to you based on availability. Possible class locations are Palmdale Oasis Park Recreation Center, Marie Kerr Park Recreation Center, Marie Kerr Park community building, Legacy Commons, pool facilities, outdoor parks, and the Palmdale Playhouse.

Live Scan Fingerprinting: 

Fingerprinting is required prior to becoming a contract instructor.

Business License: 

A City of Palmdale business license is required to perform services as a contracted service instructor.


The contract is an agreement for instructional services entered into between the instructor providing the service and the City of Palmdale. Please read all policies and procedures established in the contract.

Liability Insurance:  

A certificate of liability insurance and an endorsement naming the City as Additional Insured is required prior to signing a contract. 


Participants are required to preregister online at prior to the first date of class. As an instructor, you have a vested interest in ensuring that all class participants are properly registered.


The Parks and Recreation department will provide you with class rosters based on your needs. Please take an active role in communicating with on-site staff regarding issues that concern your class (room set-up, etc.). It is the instructor’s responsibility to maintain and clean up after each class. 

The City of Palmdale is committed to providing a safe environment for children. Once a registered child is signed in to a contract class, it is the instructor’s responsibility to keep the child safe until a parent or guardian returns for pickup.  The City recommends that all instructors take a few moments at the start of each session to talk to participants about personal safety.  

Facilities are reserved in advance for contract classes.  However, we reserve the right to change the location of your class due to conflicting events, maintenance issues, poor weather, etc. We will attempt to notify instructors and students at least 24 hours in advance.

In case of emergency or illness, please notify the Parks and Recreation office (preferably 24 hours in advance) of your intent to cancel class. A make-up session must be scheduled with the contract service supervisor. After business hours, please notify a City staff working at the class facility. Parks and Recreation hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., closed Fridays.

Refund Policy:

Registration refund requests from participants must be received three days before the second class meeting. Refunds will be given if a class is cancelled. All other refund requests will need to be discussed with the instructor. Refunds will not be given after the class has ended. We do our best to satisfy customers. However, students are not permitted to try the class before officially registering. Each student must be  registered and on the class roster in order to participate. It is the instructor’s responsibility to ensure each participant is registered. 


Instructor payments will be processed following the completion of the course. The Department of Parks and Recreation retains 35% of the total fees collected from your class. A check for the remaining 65% will be mailed to the instructor at the conclusion of the course. Pursuant to City of Palmdale Finance division guidelines, payment to contract instructors will not be issued until the completion of services has been rendered.